This section contains the basic information you need to know to attend LARPcon.
What is LARPing?
There have been as many definition of LARPing as there have been games. None are 100% accurate for every situation but they all have the following in common:
1. 1 The game has some sort of genre or theme. Medieval, Science Fiction, Medieval Japan, Colonial America etc.
2. You create a character that you play live that interacts with the make believe world provided by the game. These characters are defined by role-playing, costuming and the rules of the game.
3. There is some sort of rules system to govern the activity of the game. Combat, spell casting, etc.
4. The games occur over the course of a day or weekend. Most commonly from Friday night to Sunday afternoon.
5. The games are generally played on a camp site.
6. In the case of the games at this convention, there is combat which uses safe foam weapons.
What is LARPcon?
Larpcon is a chance for games in New England to showcase their games and system to new players (and perhaps some old ones as well). It is a chance for the fragmented LARPing community of New England to gather together to have adventures, play games and have fun. It is a chance for local LARP merchants to show their products. It is above all, a day to have fun in the summer sunů..with swords.
When is LARPcon?
Saturday July 30th. Doors open at 10am and the close at 10pm that night.
What is the cost to attend?
LARPcon admission is $25 pre-registered and $30 at the door for the whole day. If you wish to sleep over Saturday night, there is an additional cost of $15. This additional cost will be refunded if you stay for clean up on Sunday.
Where is LARPcon?
LARPcon is being held at YMCA Camp Lincoln in Kingston, NH.
67 Ball Hill Rd
Kingston, NH 03848
Here is a link to their web site.
Although LARPcon is not offering food services, there will be BBQ grills, and picnic tables available for use. There is no alcohol allowed at LARPcon.
There will be many kinds of activities available for LARPcon participants. There will be everything from small 6-7 person adventures (or modules) to large scale events such as bardic circles, tournaments and grand melees. See the activities file for more information. I can tell you right now that there will be a grand melee of all willing participants on the tournament field. Personally, I would love to have a 200 person battle.
Costuming is entirely optional but encourage for individual modules. There will be Science Fiction, Medieval, Medieval Japan, 1660 Colonial America and 1915 African Exploration genres to choose from.
Who Can Attend?
You must be 18 years or older to participate in any LARPcon activity that has combat. However, the convention itself is open to all ages. Anyone under 10 years must be accompanied by an adult.
YMCA Camp Lincoln has cabin sleeping for 100 participants. The cabins are rustic with community bathroom near each set of cabins. Participants are responsible for all bedding and toiletries.